From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Ron @
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:05 PM
To: Insulin Pumpers
Subject: [IP] Your calling 911---maybe it won't work

    I'm not sure how to shorten this long, long story, but I'll try.
    Last night, massive area power failure about 3 hrs.
    When we switched to Comcast (triple play?) earlier this year, I was
assured that Comcast has an 8 hour backup if things go bad in an emergency..
    Just recently we got a cell phone, so that was my only connection with
the outside world. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. Some
cellphones evidently do not have a caller Ident yet, so I suppose I
ccccccccccccould give them driving directions during a heart attack. Our
Cellphone has sort of a GPS so 911 would know where we are at. My son
checked today when he dropped by.
    Our (house) cordless phones of course will not work cause they plug into

the power line.
So I took the flashlight to our inside, guaranteed 8 hour battery backup,
"land line" blue Princess phone backup, and no dial tone, nothing.
By flashlight found Comcast number.
    Ended up going into the house again with a flashlight per comcast,
checking out if there were any LED lights showing on their "Arris" Comcast
box which was sitting on (edge), just barely balanced, on top of our water
heater where they "installed" it in Feb or March. Leaning on the hot flue
pipe for our water heater.
     Anyway, no LED lights, They check from their end and report that either

there is no battery at all in the Arris box, or the battery is dead.
    After not opening the fridge for hours, the Insulin had gone up 50
degrees to 50, so that is ok. I was worried, as who knows how long the power

would be off.
    Com ED of Illinoise also had problems with a different phone number,
(10) years ago they sent me a letter that I was now registered as disabled,
but that means registering only, no priority will be given to any customer,
as to when power to an area will be restored. I have heard from Calif ED
that they bring out emergency generators to disabled, but of course,
Illinoise has nothing, they explained they even reinforced that policy
stricter 2 months ago by company letter to Com Ed employees. I deliberately
put a (e) after Illinois(e) anymore.
    Comcast said they would send me a new battery by snail mail in 7 to 10
days. Plus there were issues that my phone number did not match the one they

had on file,who was I, what was the account number (another trip with a
flashlight to the dark house to look thru letters for an account number).
 I explained that I have had 5 strokes, 2 heart attacks, plus insulin, plus
Cpap breathing machine, plus without power my Oxygen machine isn't working.
plus several other medical major problems, all of which could be another 911

calls, and could they do better than regular mail?.
They were intractable. Regular mail, battery in 7 to 10 days only, with
instructions how to put it in, and they can do absolutely nothing more than
Power finally came on. we were sitting outside hours in the dark to stay
relatvely cool.

My advice:
Keep your rechargeable Oxygen tanks fully topped off.
Abandon your face mask for breathing.
Keep charged Batteries in a flashlight handy
Buy a Cellphone in case Comcast is not what they say they are. (your cost)
Don't open a fridge.
Always know that you can place a 911 call (not)
Battery, if it exists at all, will come by snail mail ONLY in 7 to 10 days.
Try to keep your wife who is in the last stages of Alzheimer's as calm as
possible outside in the dark.
And of course, trust, trust, trust  :-)

Best to all--
Sleep tight  :-)