 From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of D. Bricher
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:59 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Most here w/ insurance?

I have waited 9 years to get a CGMS.  My daughter was a grad student in
medical bioengineering (or something like that!) at the University of
Minnesota in the early 2000s.  She told me that the U was testing
somebody's CGMS (probably MiniMed's) and it was going fantastically
well.  When insulin pumps first came on the market in 1980, naysayers
jumped into the fray with remarks like "Well, pumps are great, but it's
just a convenience for people who don't want to follow their diets."  It
took several years for most companies to change their thinking around to
a different attitude: Well, we will pay less for the ounce of prevention
in treating diabetes effectively than for the pound of cure in paying
for all the medical complications...  It will, unfortunately take years
for some insurance companies to figure it out about CGM. It might take
legislation. Back in the early '80s, the endos in MN had to threaten
Blue Cross of MN with laws requiring them to pay for insulin pumps
before they yielded.  My then-doctor was involved, so I heard about it.

There was something in Dexcom's literature about using a Dexcom for a
3-day period... If you can afford just a little bit, or if you're
allergic to metals and.or adhesives, you might want to look into that.
It's an eye-opening experience to see your BGs on a graph in front of you.

Since I now have something that beeps and buzzes when my BG is going
where I don't want it to, I'm way faster with a little sugar to fix a
low (as opposed to the entire contents of my fridge) and with a couple
units of insulin to head off a sharply rising BG (instead of ignoring it
for hours).  In love with my Dex, Denise

On 8/29/2010 12:00 AM, Laura Shapiro wrote:
> ...  I do get a bit upset when
> people go around saying you simply have to have a CGMS. Unless you plan on
> sending us money to pay for it, please watch what you say.
> My HMO still grumbles when I order supplies too often....
>   I cant imagine how they feel about people asking for more technology! Every
> time I have had to obtain a new pump, they have denied it about three times
 > before giving in. I dont know who's been able to get a CGMS from them, but
I'll
> bet it wasn't easy.

> Laura in NM.

 The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are
not the intended recipient you are hereby (a) notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or taking any action with respect to the content of this
information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful, and (b) kindly requested
to inform the sender immediately and delete any copies. Coherent is neither
liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.