Re: [IP] Expired Insulin

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 9:03 AM, <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I was cleaning out a closet when I had discovered 10 boxes of insulin
>  shoved way back in the closet sealed in the cellophane wrapper it came in
> from
> the pharmacy where I picked it up. I checked the expiration  date and it
> expired July 2010!  I was so upset to see that I had  forgotten about so
> many
> boxes in the back of the closet. I called the pharmacist  and my doctor and
> they both said I really shouldn't use it, so I'm asking here.  Has anyone
> ever used expired insulin without any problems? The insulin is  Humalog.
> Kathy

I definitely WOULD use or at least try it.  Both the doctor and the
pharmacist have legal reasons causing them to advise against it.  The
absolute worst that could happen is that the insulin would not be as
effective as an in date, refrigerated insulin.  It isn't as though insulin
just 'dies' one day after the expiration date.  Of course, I might test much
more frequently though.

don't get sick and if you do, die quickly