Re: [IP] obsession, my name is diabetes

>I had two boys back in the 60s on one shot of NPH daily
>which provided little or no control at all. Today, I test, and test, and
>test.

I also test 8 - 10 times per day.  But for me it is not obsession, but finer control. Back in the sixties
I took one injection of NPH per day.  NPH was an insulin that had peaks and valleys with control.  All
I hoped for was that my sugar was in range part of the day.  I usually ran high after breakfast (urine checks),
dropped fas around lunch, then depending on absorbtion that particular day ran high or low various times
the rest of the day.  In my opinion,  you could not necessarily react to a high sugar in the morning, as
you simply could be dropping fast and go low later that day.  You really didn't know what was going to happen
later in the day.  If you throw in the inaccuracies if urine checks, spot corrections were impossible.
For many years, I simply did not even test urine very ofter.

Today with meters and fast acting insulin in the pump, I feel a sense of control.  I test because I can affect my
BG in a meaninful way and can predict fairly well what is going to happen.  If I would have had this ability in 1961,
I believe I would have tested just as often.

By the way, another great benefit of today's systen is not having to eat on a strict, rigid time table.  When I first
got diabetes,  my parents had set aside times every day when we always ate.  This was an attempt to match to
the peaks of NPH.  I always felt I had to eat when I was not hungry, or not eat when I was.  To not have to eat when
I didn't want to was a great feeling, ant still is.  I lost 15 pounds when I went on the pump without trying and good BG
control.

Mike Zeigler
IDDM since 1961