[IP] Throwing out test meters? (longish)

Barbara Wrote:
Below is a quote from an article titled "The Scoop On Finding Cheap
Test Strips and Meters" in MyDiabetesCentral, posted Aug. 24, by Ann
Bartlett, who has Type 1:

"It is important to throw out your meter after about a year to
maintain consistency. "

I  asked a question about the source for this sentence (because it
made NO sense to me).

Suzanne Wrote:
What if you have an expensive meter that can't be bought at a store?
Like the One Touch that works with a Minimed pump or the One Touch
Ping that works wirelessly with the Animas pump? I for one am not
going to pay the hundreds of dollars out of pocket to replace the
meter when it gets to be older than a year or two!

Ricardo Responds:
I can see absolutely no logic in throwing out a meter that still
calibrates within the parameters of it's control solution. The
practice even seems wasteful. Manufacturers amortize the cost of the
meters in the cost of the test strips, so there is a cost for the
meter. It is just not a separate itemized cost.

One of the arguments against the current Health Care proposals is that
when patients view Health Care as spending someone else's money,
Health Care costs increase because people are wasteful of health
resources, as seen with throwing out meters because they are free. To
Suzanne's point, paying for and replacing a Ping or MM meter would
make someone more considerate of health costs.