[IP] Throwing out test meters? (longish)

Below is a quote from an article titled "The Scoop On Finding Cheap
Test Strips and Meters" in MyDiabetesCentral, posted Aug. 24, by Ann
Bartlett, who has Type 1:

"It is important to throw out your meter after about a year to
maintain consistency. "

I  asked a question about the source for this sentence (because it
made NO sense to me).

Another person commented:

I too wondered about that statement.  Maybe I'm overlooking
something, but I don't see how an aging meter will change accuracy.
(I understand how old strips can become less accurate, but I don't
understand how the electronics of a meter can be affected by age to
make them less accurate.)

Her response follows, below.

Ann Bartlett
Friday, August 28, 2009 at 09:41 AM
To both Barbara and itfitz o?<

I have gotten that advice from my endo and my CDE, who are unrelated
to each other.

When I met with my CDE the first time I carried in a meter, I don't
even know how old! My cde said accuracy is not dependable and he set
3 meters down in front of me and using the same blood tests two of
his against mine.  Mine was so off the charts different, lower then
his two! (so of course loved my meter! lol)  He asked if I calibrated
and I looked down and sort of scuffed the floor, "no" and he said
let's start fresh! (uhhh good choice!) At that time he said with
technology improvements replace sooner rather than later.  He made
the point, the meter isn't the cost it's the strips so update!

While this was a long time ago, last year I was working with my
beloved one Touch smartlink and it would have a 90 point difference
between the little mini I bought and my endo echoed the same thing,
if the swing is to wide, just replace it. My mini matched hers, so I
started using it less and looking around at other options.

Barbara, I think if all your meters are of different ages and are
within a 30% range you don't have to change anything! You take the
necessary steps to really work the meters well, but in my little
survey among some d friends, hardly anyone even calibrated their meters!

But my point is that many of us get caught up with feeling like the
meter is the expense, when the reality is the strips are the cost.
And accuracy is unpredictable with meters as so stated by the FDA
recently! So why not change them out more often, especially if
technology seems to always be new and improved!

Thank you both for commenting!

Sooooo, my question for the IP crowd is----anyone ever heard of this
and/or what do you think? (It still makes NO sense to me....)  I
haven't even asked what she meant by a "30% range"---maybe I'm
misunderstanding what she wrote but doesn't the FDA say 20% (which is
still awful)?  And then I had other questions but no time so I
decided to throw it out for you to help.

Barbara