Re: [IP] obsession, my name is diabetes

> want to know what the "oldtimers" think. Back in the late 1950's, when
 > there was nothing available, such as today (no b/g meters, few docs who knew
> what to do) we did fine. I went through a successful pregnancy in the mid
> 70's,  with only Keto-Diastix ("don't spill ketones" was my endos call). Did
> real well,  never had a problem and had a 7 lb. 10 oz. son that was fine.
>
> Now, with the Ultra tester and lots of strips available, I test all the
> time. Maybe 10x daily; sometimes because i don't feel right and don't know
> high  or low? or just cause I do, and have control of my numbers, because of
> the  pump.
> Is it that i'm just older and more aware, or obsessive? I haven't stopped
> doing anything i did decades ago, just more aware? Anyone feel this way?
> (Maybe  low b/gs have made me totally NUTS!)
> The Dinosaur lady,
> julie
> email @ redacted (mailto:email @ redacted)
> 52+yrs. insulin dependent, 9 yrs. on pump

Hi Julie

I couldn't agree more. I was diagnosed in 1961 at age 18, in England. I can't
remember if I started on 1 or several shots a day, I do know I weighed my
potatoes, I still have the little gram scale the hospital gave me. At school I
was allowed to have fruit instead of pudding at lunch & I avoided having to
play games, instead I had to umpire the younger girls.

My great friend says she remembers that I watched what I ate at university, I
don't remember that at all, she got T1 at age 29. I lived life, hitchhiked to
Israel, one summer, all around Greece the next summer, giving shots in
youth hostels & by the side of the road, got some strange looks sometimes.
As I had what in those days they called "brittle" diabetes I was told to keep
my clinitest results at 1/4 rather than neutral if possible.

I just told friendsa & colleagues I had diabetes & if I acted strangely they
gave me something sweet. It did get easier after I was diagnosed with celiac
in 1970 & started a gluten free diet.

I got my first meter in the mid 80s, & that was my wake-up call also, as I
started developing retinopathy in 1 eye.

But my husband keeps saying I am getting obsessive with the pump, testing
too much & worrying about my numbers too much, He won ders if I was
happier before.

Annabella
48+ years insulin dependent Pumping since feb 2007