[IP] A new book

I just finished an advanced copy The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl,
Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox, coming out in
November.  It was fascinating and there was much more to the story of
Elizabeth Hughes than I had ever heard before.  I thought at first
that because she was the daughter of a famous father she was "given"
insulin early but that isn't the way history unfolds.  Of course
money and fame played a huge part in where she stayed and what she
did for diversion from thoughts of food. The other half of the story,
about the actual discovery of insulin, is portrayed right along
beside the time line when Elizabeth is essentially starving to
death.  The book goes back and forth between the two happenings. The
group of four---Banting and Best, being the two most of us think of
first when it comes to "insulin,"---really had some heated and
emotional upheavals along the way.  It's also rather amazing to think
of how any of the group could have been killed in World War I -- or
have taken other job offers.  It just happened to work and they were
first, an extremely fortunate event for Elizabeth who met Banting
when she weighed barely 45 pounds. A really good book!!

Barbara