[IP] Medicare & pump supplies

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 03:11:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Linda Riblet <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Medicare

I just don't know what to DO to get Medicare to pay for my pump supplies,
insulin, and teststrips.

Linda:

For reasons known only to Medicare, pump supplies, insulin, etc. are
considered durable medical equipment and must be billed under Medicare Part
B. It's possible that your supplier billed Medicare part D. You DO have to
use a Medicare approved supplier, but I don't think Medicare can dictate
which one you use (I've been very happy with Advanced Diabetes Supply
800-730-9887). Medicare certainly didn't tell ME I had to get a new pump! I
got my Deltec Cozmo 6 months before I turned 65 just so I wouldn't have to
fight with Medicare over whether or not I could have a new pump!

You need to read the "Medicare and You 2008" booklet VERY carefully, and be
prepared to read the relevant parts of it to Medicare people when you have
to talk to them. I found that I knew more than most of them about what
Medicare does & doesn't cover because I was reading the book.

Cheryl Hite & Sophia