Re: [IP] Humalog vs. Novalog

I think the pump will help eliminate some of these issues whether you use
Novolog or Humalog.  Your situation sounds very similar to mine when I was
first diagnosed and using Lantus and Humalog.  I had problems with spiking
to over 200, 2 hours after a meal, but then crashing to the 40's and 50's 4
to 5 hours afterwards (supposedly after the Humalog had already peaked).
When I reported some of these incidences to my endo she said I had "weird
insulin absorption" and the pump would help with that.  An injection of
insulin leaves a "pool" of insulin to be absorbed and varies from shot to
shot, day to day and site to site.  For instance, I noticed I had more of a
problem with this when I injected into my arm vs. my stomach.  The pump
should help even this variance out.  My endo also switched me to Novolog
when I started the pump, stating that her patients on Novolog seemed to have
more consistent post-prandial numbers than with Humalog.  Since I did
Humalog while on shots, and Novolog on the pump, I can't really compare the
two with the same set of variables, but I never have those kind of crashes
any more, unless I over-correct and stack my insulin, but that's another
story.  As always, YMMV.

dx'd 3/02, pumping 8/02 clear Paradigm