RE: [IP] laugh away- humalog action times?

For practical purposes in MOST people, and to make calculation of unused
insulin simple, typically Humalog and Novolog will be listed to have anywhere
from a 3-4 hour action time.  MOST of the insulin is, in fact, used in this
time.  (Humalog "finishes" a bit ahead of Novolog, but both still have a bit
more residual even after this.)

 Anyhow, the amount of remaining insulin after this 4 hour mark is typically far
 below anything significant for the average bolus, and plays little in affecting
BGLs.  However, for a large bolus, you might find that the residual insulin
past 4 hours does play into it.  When I give large boluses, I do notice that I
 will continue to drop past the 4 hour mark (presuming I haven't had a meal with
a lot of protein/fat).  Actually that protein/fat often is what makes that
residual insulin appear not to do anything.

But, MM is correct...Humalog and Novolog both remain in the body LONGER than 3-
4 hours, though at small amounts.  For the ease of calculation and typical
scenarios, this residual amount can be ignored.  But, MM has to be careful not
to make any recommendations that might result in a low.  They are an FDA-
 approved medical device. So, because of this, they must be conservative. In a
sense, their calculation is more accurate from a technical standpoint, though
not necessarily from a practical one.  Anyhow, they cannot risk CAUSING anyone
to go low not only for their own sakes (legal issues) but for the safety of
their "patients".

Hope this helps.  :-)