RE: [IP] Re: Feeling insulin being delivered into site

Barbara, how about if the end of the cannula is setting near a nerve ending?
I'm having that same problem occasionally and using the Ultraflex 8mm
infusion sets and I know the end of my cannula is not near any muscle or
muscle fascia. I'm using Humalog and an Animas pump and checked how fast a
bolus is given when changing sites the last time. It seems no faster than an
and I've had that happen with injections and it reminds me of nerve pain.

It is more than likely a case of the infusion set too close
to muscle or muscle fascia.  A set that can have the angle
adjusted to less depth, or shorter infusion needle or
catheter might help.

Pumps available today have the ability to deliver a bolus
over time (extended/square wave). Small boluses for a child
can still be delivered over 30 minutes. Decisons for pump
bolus delivery should not be made based on outdated
technology. There are improved options available.

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE
Independent diabetes educator