[IP] Re: Feeling insulin being delivered into site

Subject: From: "jhughey" <email @ redacted>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:32:45 -0500
>  Lately, when she boluses, she can feel the insulin going
into her and it
>  causes her pain. What can be done? Why is this happening
to her?

Jan said: >She may be a little more sensitive as she's
growing could be the
reason why it's happening. I don't want another pump that
gives an abrupt
immediate delivery. YMMV!!<

It is more than likely a case of the infusion set too close
to muscle or muscle fascia.  A set that can have the angle
adjusted to less depth, or shorter infusion needle or
catheter might help.

Pumps available today have the ability to deliver a bolus
over time (extended/square wave). Small boluses for a child
can still be delivered over 30 minutes. Decisons for pump
bolus delivery should not be made based on outdated
technology. There are improved options available.

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE
Independent diabetes educator