[IP] pump, meters cell phones and store alarms -WHY

In a message dated 8/26/03 2:28:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> On another note, a while back there was a post from some lady that said her
> >pump set the alarm off at Walmart that created allot of controversy on the
> >list. Well guess what, mine did for the first time in a Walmart that I
> >frequent quite often.
> >At first I thought maybe one of my boys had grabbed something that I didn't
> >see or pay for. But after having them walk back through the detector they
> >were clean. So I handed my bag to the crack security man and walked
> >through, alarm goes off again. I then quickly handed my pump to my oldest
> >son and walked through and no alarm. He then walked through with the pump
> >in his hand and alarm sounded. Went back the following day and nothing
> >happened, Go figure huh.
> >
> >One more thing the new batteries from Eveready called e2 are the best I
> >have found yet. I got 6 weeks from my first one!
> >
> >Mike Chambers

I ALWAYS set off store alarms when I go in the store and when I leave.  It is
so annoying.  Recently I tried handing my husband my pocketbook which had my
cell phone and meter in it.  When I walked in the store I did not set off the
alarm.  I came out and did not set off the alarm.  I then went through it with
just my pump and my meter and I did not set it off.  I then went through it
with everything and I set it off.  The combination of the pump, meter and cell
phone set it off.  I do believe that each store is different.  Sometimes one
 thing sets it off other times it is the combination of things. II do know that
I have never had anything that belonged to the store that I did not pay for.
I have also checked my pocketbook itself to make sure that there was nothing
left in it from when I bought it that might set the alarms off.  I have also
changed pocketbooks often.   I understand that businesses need to protect
 themselves from theft. Their merchandise should be coded to match the scanner
at
the door and not interfere with thing that DON'T belong to them.  I consider
 this an invasion of privacy and would like to do something about it. I am sick
of explaining all my personal business.

Kathie1432