Re: [IP] arrgghh!!!!!/Diabetes and Hospital Staff

Every now and then I have to sit back and be happy for what I have.  In
 January 2002 I had an abdominal hysterectomy and kept the pump on. Mind you,
is the first surgery in 20 years of pumping where I was totally knocked out.
At an appointment with my endo about 4 days before surgery he said he would
talk to the anesthesiology staff.

With the pump, things worked like a charm.  They started a saline drip with a
piggy back glucose bag.  About three hours later in my room I turned off my
"lower" temporary basal and resumed the monitoring of my blood sugars.  The
 next day the gyn who did the surgery told me that he explained to his residents
 that they should NOT give me any diabetes advice, that they should listen to me
and they would learn something.  He told all three of them that between me
and my doctor, we had more knowledge about diabetes than all of them (4) would
ever have.  Made me feel good.  Of course I told my doctor what was said too.

Found out later that they had checked my blood sugar during the surgery and
post op and it never got above 200.  Within 12 hours I had it between 130 and
150 and kept it there until I was released two days later.  Due to my
 hypoglycemic unawareness, I told my doctor that I was paranoid of having a low
in the
hospital and he was okay with that.  When I got home I got them down where I
really want them.

A non diabetes related thing I learned was if you have an allergy, tell
everyone prior to surgery of that allergy.  I had told them when I was
 pre-registered about an egg allergy, it was in my chart and I was wearing a red
bracelet that said this, and they almost gave me Propofol (Diprivan) to sedate
me.  I, thank goodness, mentioned this to one of the GYN residents just ten
minutes before I was to go into the OR and because of this, they changed what
 they were to give me. If they had given me the Propofol I may have died on the
 table. I would have most definitely gone into anaphylactic shock. I knew they
got upset about something because of the way they acted and about a month
later when I was seeing my endo I told him about it and he assured me that he
would find out what it was that they almost gave me.  I came to find out, his
cousin was the head of the anesthesia department of the hospital.

After telling them AGAIN of the egg allergy, the gyn doc asked me what would
happen if they gave me something with a little egg in it and I told them to
 get a Tracheotomy tray ready because I would need it. Needless to say, that is
why they got so upset.

I am lucky to have the doctor I have because of his reputation and his family
relationship with the anesthesia dept. of the hospital.  I believe this is
why it was so easy for me to keep the pump on.  Under the circumstances I can
almost believe that my doc and his cousin (the other doc) spoke about me at a
family gathering that weekend!

I hope that anyone going through any type of surgery comes to some sort of
understanding with the operating team (especially the anesthetist) so they do
 not have to fight this battle. There is enough stress on a person when they are
going to have surgery, we all do not need any additional stress.

And anyone who has a critical allergy, tell them again and again, it might
save your life!