Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:16:09 +0000
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] RE: Paradigm Upgrade

Here is what I can tell you for certain...

There is absolutely NOTHING in the 512 pump features that can't be
handled by the 511 pump from a mechanical standpoint.  There is no reason to
believe that there is ANY mechanical change from the 511 to the 512. The 511
mechanicals were capable of delivering .05 basal increments...but the software
not  enable this. The 511 mechanicals allowed it to communicate with a Pump
via RF, but the software didn't allow for it.

So, the 512 is simply a software upgrade to the 511.  If you have a
511, you have the same pump as the 512, just without the latest software.

Now, it is POSSIBLE that MM could have made updates to the hardware for
other things not advertised.  For example, perhaps they decided to add FLASH
memory to resolve the loss of settings due to battery failure issue, etc.
But,  frankly, I doubt this is the case. I think the point of the 511 model
was that it was supposed to be able to grow, via software.

The only "change" I've seen from a hardware standpoint is that the 512
isn't offered in the charcoal color as the 511 was.  It is offered, instead,
in something like "Smoke" or whatever.  But, that is simply a new case
color, which is cheap and easy to replace from a manufacturing standpoint.

If your friend wants the 512, she will have to turn in her 511 and pay
the upgrade price, unless MM decides to make a special exception.