[IP] fighting an insurance company for a pump advice

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:59:02 -0800

From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>

Subject: Re: [IP] How do I go about fighting the insurance company.

> Remember, that I ended up buying my Animas pump out of pocket?

> I've got my denial letter, and I suppose I should start with that

> document and go through the procedure. I know I'm not going to be

> with Cigna long, so need to act.

> Any ideas?

File an appeal immediately. When/if it is denied escalate it and file

another. When/if that is denied, file with the state insurance board

and file a small claims action for breech of contract. You will get

your bucks back if you do this. Make sure you have a copy of your

doctors letter of medical necessity and the prescription for the

It took 18 months to get Lily's first pump paid for but when it came

down the the wire, the ins. co. caved in rather than face a lawsuit

which I threatened after the final appeal but did not have to follow

up on. What you must do however is leave them enough wiggle room to

get out gracefully. Our ins. co. at the last minute request some

additional info (which they already had) and then said "oh yeah,

based on that we can approve the pump".

Play the game, just play to win no matter what. If you blink, you

lose. That's what they are counting on.

email @ redacted

Faith mommie to the mighty Zman
the joy of the Lord is my strength