RE: [IP] airport.....urban myth????

I fly approximately 1 time per week for the past 5 years.  No real
issues noted with the x-ray machines at airports on my end either.

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 5:04 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IP] airport.....urban myth????

needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest of
the diabetes community. Please visit:

I've kept quiet during this debate, but I have to put my .02 in.  (My
version of "the emperor's not wearing any clothes, perhaps?)
For the last 8 or so years, I have flown on average about 7 times per
year.  So with roundtrips - that's about 14 flights per year.  (Not
including layovers, of course).  I have always kept my insulin in my
purse and my purse always goes through the x-ray scanner.  I have never
had a problem with my insulin degrading.  In fact, I'm well into upping
that average for this year alone.  This year I've flown from Phoenix to
LA to Shanghai to Beijing back to Shanghai, back to LA for customs and
then back to Phoenix.  I've flown to and from Vegas for the day, to and
from Philadelphia.  To and from Iowa, and I'm flying to and from New
Jersey next week and then back to Philadelphia the week after.  I may
even fit in a trip to Vegas for a night sometime the week after next.
I'll let you know if I notice any difference in my insulin after that
because it will remain in my purse where it will go through the x-ray
scanner.  So, long story short - urban legend.
As always YMMV.
Diabetic 22 years and hasn't had to pay for a plane ticket since she got
her first Frequent Flyer credit card in 1992.