Re: [IP] RE: pumping while under the knife

> So I did this for my recent hip surgery, but it didn't work out as
> well as I would have liked.  The surgery ended up being 3.5 hrs
> instead of 1 hr... and because I was so adamant about staying on the
> pump, they were afraid to adjust me!  Pist me off!  I woke up over
> 500!
> I had specifically asked that they correct me with 1 unit/75 mg/dl
> of highness (an agreement to under bolus the highs) - I said they
> could do that with needles et al.  But argh, they didn't.  sigh.
> Just venting.  I have to do my other hip soon (arthritis) and
> haven't figured out what to do.  I sure as heck don't want to be low
> during surgery, but my blood surgery last time really skyrocketed
> due to the bodily stress. s

Hi Susan,

Have a pre-op meeting with the anesthesiologist. He/she is the person
that needs to be comfortable with this and is the one responsible for
your well being while "asleep". The surgeon is just the mechanic
so-to-speak. You might have to have your endo do a consult with the
anesthesiologist or maybe even get a new one.