Re: [IP] pumping while under the knife

Strong work, I had 2 back surgeries this past winter and remained
pumping thru both of them.  Talked reasonably to both of the surgeons
(if there is such thing as a reasonable surgeon) neither one knew what
to do, so I told them I'll take care of the diabetes and the pump and
you take care of the back.  And so it was to be.  Good luck   Scott

>>> email @ redacted 08/23/03 02:21 AM >>>
good for you for putting your foot down....I have had two vitrectomies
and a
laparotomy with my pump....the first vitrectomy and the laparotomy were
tough
fights (details of which are posted here in living color - see the
archives),
but the last vitrectomy was awesome...my doctor-who-is-god in NYC was
cool
with it...i talked to the anesthesiaologuirist (sp) who was fine...she
worked
 with my retina guy a lot and so had done pumpers before.....it was the
freaking
pre-certification doctor who did not want me to stay on the pump...and
GET
 this...HE IS A TYPE I DIABETIC...what an idiot....I told him so, and
told him
re-write the letter (the one he gave me, recommended i go off the pump),
which
he did...

Vitrectomies "nowadays" are like a walk in the park....First one, i had
 stay over night, was bandaged totally in both eyes for 48 hours, then a
patch
on
that eye for a week and then slept with a guard on for 2 weeks, my eye
looked
like something the cat dragged in for 4 weeks...that was 1994...For the
one
in 2000, I was in and out in about 4 hours!  I had a patch just on that
eye
 afterwards, which i wore out the door to go home an hour after the
surgery,
took
it off the next day and healed much better...in fact i went out on a
blind
date (no pun intended) 2 weeks later, i was looking so good!  But then,
as I
 said, my doctor IS god.....I have a new one here in Tucson, but i tell
you
what,
if I ever need eye surgery again, I will fly back to NYC...

SSP