[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #480

 --- On Fri 08/22, < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: [mailto: email @ redacted]To: email @ redacted: Fri, 22 Aug
2003 14:43:41 EDTSubject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #480Does anyone
have leg neuropathy so bad,,it keeps you awake at nite...Horrible cramps,,kind
of jolts shooting thru legs...Do you see aneurologist???? nothing ---no meds
have helped or eaased this none zippo....ive tried all kinds..alpha lipoic. the
sulfates. pain meds,, muscle relaxers...any help appreciated debi
 Debi, regular pain meds do almost NOTHING for the chronic pain of neuropathy.
It's a different mechanism at work. First off, get a referral to a neurologist
who handles neuropahty and make sure that he/she does. Not all of them do.
Before making the appt, while on the phone, ASK if they handle neuropathy on a
daily basis. You can also check by going to the AMA web site and pulling up all
the neurologists in your area. Most will be listed and give an idea of their
specialty within the field of neurology. Best way is to simply ask. When you
find on that does, make a double appt (two back to back if possible). so that
you are not rushed. My current neuro spent 2 HOURS with me the first time he saw
me. And he did almost no testing other than the filament test and making me walk
up and down the hall and play touch my nose, etc.
 Okay, now, the horrible cramps, are you taking a multivitamin? Can you eat a
banana? If not can you either drink seltzer/tonic water or take quinine pills?
The tonic water is found in the same aisle as the regular sodas and yes, there
is a diet version. Some people have had luck with bromelian (it's a herb made
from the core of a pineapple) and others just eat the pineapple, core and all.
There are three books and many web sites I am going to recommend. Let's start
with the books. All are by John Senneff and can be found at Amazon.com. *Numb
Toes & Aching Soles: Coping with Peripheral Neuropathy*, "Numb Toes &
Other Woes: More on Peripheral Neuropathy* and *Nutruients for Neuropathy*. He
is not a doctor but his works have been overseen by several neurologists. He
just happens to be a PNer with a talent for writing. The main web site to go to
is http://www.neuropathy.org and it's the home of the Neuropathy Association.
There is a bulletin board there with a wealth of !
 info and it's free to join.
Now, the other web sites:

 I hope this helps, and YES, I UNDERSTAND your pain...I have had that similar
pain for almost 5 years now. I am considered disabled by the meds I take for it.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com