[IPn] Summer pledge drive

Yesterday there was only one contribution to the Summer pledge drive
and my sincerest thanks to that person and all the others that have
contributed to help keep Insulin Pumpers viable.

I thought perhaps I would put our pledge drives in context. If you
are a public radio listener, then you know that pledge drives take an
inordinate amount of air time. Several time a day there are pledge
breaks that last anywhere from 15 minutes to as much as 30 minutes or
more, EVERYDAY during the drive. This goes on until the funding goals
are reached or exceeded. I'm not fond of pledge drives and am mindful
that they can be annoying. During Insulin Pumpers quarterly pledge
drives, messages to the list are limited to less than one message day
-- that takes a few seconds to read at the most. In fact, since the
beginning of this pledge drive there have been only 17 messages in 23
days, including this one. It is a necessary evil that this service
must pay its bills. I'd be more than happy to forgo the bucks raised
in this manner if there were another source of funding, but I don't
happen to be a zillionaire myself and have not been able to get Bill
Gates or his ilk to foot the bills. In the mean time, the pledge
drives must continue each quarter and go on until the needed funds
are raised to pay day to day expenses. The alternative is to stop
what we do. Sorry, I don't have another solution.

Many of you may not realize that it takes a lot of effort behind the
scenes to keep Insulin Pumpers going. My highly visible efforts as
well at those of the admin staff mask the efforts of over 50
volunteers and a lot of hard work. Absent all that effort, I'm pretty
sure that chaos would prevail in our hugh mail forum and the content
of the web offering would not be nearly as good as it is. There much
more we could do for sure if there were additional funds available --
I have reams of material just waiting to be published, however, many
would agree that Insulin Pumpers presents a premier service to the
diabetes community. I'd like to keep it that way and improve things if

To date for this pledge drive, our members have kindly given a bit
over $3000. That will almost cover a less than months worth of day to
day operating expenses. To those that have contributed now and in the
past, thank you for your generosity. To those of you who have yet to
make a contribution and are financially able, I challenge you to help
support this forum and keep it healthy and financially strong. If you
participate and feel that Insulin Pumpers has helped you and you
enjoy the support of your fellow forum members, then make a
contribution to support YOUR forum. With over 4200 members we're
talking less than 50 cents a month if everyone would contribute. You
probably lose more change than that! If each member contributed just
50 cents a month -- less than a buck!!, no fund raising would be
needed to reach our goal. I know that not everyone will do this, and
to those of you who have given more -- much more, you have my sincere
thanks on behalf of all the staff and members as well. So please
won't the rest of you consider making a contribution today. As soon
as the goal is reached for Summer, the pledge drive will end. I have
no desire to continue it, believe me.

To make a contribution or sustaining gift to Insulin Pumpers visit
the Insulin Pumpers donation page at:

Insulin Pumpers
558 Valley Way
Milpitas, CA 95035