[IP] hospitals

I recently had a gastroscopy.  Quick procedure, but they couldn't get me in
till 1:00 pm and I had to be fasting till then.  Despite good control with the
pump, I seem to go low whenever I'm unable to eat for such events.  So I
planned to shoot for being about 200 by late morning.  This worked.  When in
the hosp prior to the procedure, the nurse wanted to check my BG.  I said I'd
do it myself.  She said not to bother to stick myself (since when is this a
bother???) because she could get blood from my IV site.  She checked me out at
90.  Well,  this was serious, because it suggested I had dropped from 200 to
90 in half an hour, and of course I couldn't eat.  Fortunately my mom was
there, and she suggested I check myself.  I was still around 200.  Turns out
the IV blood was diluted by the saline solution.  The nurse accepted this and
changed my chart to reflect my number rather than hers.  Of course, the bill
included an $18 charge for the invalid BG measure!