Re: [IP] PPD

I wanted to interject about PPD, despite being a male.  :-)

Too often PPD is used when in reality one is experiencing what is commonly
 known as "baby blues". MOST women experience a degree if baby blues, but often
call it post partum depression.

I can assure you that baby blues is NOT the same as PPD.  My wife has
experienced for each of her pregnancies PPD...and in one case was to dangerous
levels.  She required anti-depressants, and was barely struggling just to make
through each day without, literally, going insane.

PPD is EXTREMELY dangerous and should be taken seriously.  If you are jokingly
referring to being moody, etc., after your pregnancy, I would pretty much
 assume it isn't truly PPD, but a case of the baby blues. I can assure you that
I feared for the life of my wife and child during her PPD, and the result was
 that, for our second child, I found some friends to take our oldest child for a
couple of weeks during they day so that my wife could "keep it together".

After about 2 months, she finally came out of PPD.

I'm not trying to minimize baby blues.  It is a "natural" side effect to the
 body's return to a "non-pregnant state". I just like to educate people on what
PPD truly is.

In fact, I think baby blues was intended to be a healthy thing.  In the past,
 baby blues forced a women to stay home more, and rely on the help of family and
friends.  This allowed the body to heal faster, as well as improve "bonding"
with the child.  In today's society, though, you are expected to get back to
your normal, busy self on your own, which shows itself as baby blues and in
some cases, PPD.