[IP] Re: arrgghh!!!!!/Diabetes and Hospital Staff

>Subject: RE: [IP] arrgghh!!!!!
>Margo Said:
>Beverly, I've had numerous surgeries and, as far as I am concerned, the
>average medical professional >knows little about diabetes, let alone
>insulin pumps. From my experience, I am personally of the belief
>that one needs to hire body guards when one goes in to the hospital.
><snipped> I had one >knowledgeable nurse tell me I couldn't have equal....

Reminds me of what I went through recently,  LOL!!  I was really sick in May
and June and went to the local ER.  The nurses in the first ER removed my
pump and handed it to my mom.  I was in no condition to stop them, and my
mom had no idea what was going on at that point.  By the time I had gotten
to the second ER, my bg was over 600 and I was feeling really rotten.  I
asked the nurses for help and they said, why don't you just take a bolus
with your pump.   That's when I realized I didnt have it.  I later found out
(from my mom) that the nurses in the first ER "didn't want to deal with a
low blood sugar" and removed my pump.

During my month-long stay in the hospital, several nurses and doctors tried
to remove the pump because its "against regulations for a patient to self
medicate".  I was feeling a bit better at that point, and raised cain with
them.  My thoracic surgeon (awesome guy, very familiar with the diseases I
have,) to write an order that my insulin pump and bg meter (I was doing my
own checks, so I could have tem more frequently) were not to be touched by
anyone, except my family.

I can *almost* understand the "self medicating" thing, but the "don't want
to deal with a low bg" is beyond me, however.  Anyone else ever have
anything like this happen, or was it just the people I was deling with?

Weird Jenn
email @ redacted

AIM:  jspock1
ICQ:  25177424
MSN:  email @ redacted

slow!"  -Kathy Buckley

<b>Help protect your PC:</b> Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com.