[IP] Re:Site Availability

 I have been pumping for nearly 21 years, and do not have site
availability/absorbtion problems. I have used straight needle, bent needle, and
teflon canulas; I've experienced the tremendous tape-down procedures in the
early years with no disconnect option, to the ease and comfort of the QR sets.
The most difficult problems I had were comfort during my pregnancy with the
straight needles (20 years ago - that baby girl of mine just wouldn't lie
still!), and the occasional times I happen to try to insert in the area of my
stretch marks. I should add that I have used my belly area exclusively during
all my years of pumping. The longest "break" I've taken from pumping was one
week, while I was waiting for a new pump; had trouble deciding whether I wanted
to keep pumping, and thought I'd go back to injections for a brief time before I
committed to a new pump - what a mistake!
 I think the key is to rotate your sites regularly; I alternate from right to
left of my belly button with each change, and keep at least 1 inch away from the
last site on the same side. I will admit I have gone as long as 7 days between
changing sites when finances were difficult and my insurance coverage wasn't as
good as it is at present (easier to do with bent needles). My current routine is
to alternate sites every 3 days. YMMV.
 The greatest difficulties at present for me are determining the effect physical
activity is going to have on my bg levels. I'm pre-menopausal and find that
hormonal instability is causing tremendous difficulty in gauging where I'm going
to end up...probably because my energy expenditure when I'm working my horse
varies from session to session depending on what we need to work on, and what's
been going on for me earlier in the day. Combine this with long-term tight
control on the pump (my most recent A1c was 5.7), and I am seriously
hypo-unaware. Biggest reason my endo and I will be discussing the islet cell
transplants at UCSF when I see him in October (his suggestion, not mine).
From: "probent" <email @ redacted>

    Would you please say more about the long term consequences of
injections. Is this showing up as an absorption problem? Do the pump
companies have any comments? Your experience tells me that there may be
time limit to using a pump. While that seems reasonable to me I have
heard any medical comments. Do you use any of the assisting devices
such as
the serters? Do you feel that the canula punctures are more damaging
than a
syringe injections? What alternatives do you see?
    Every needle poke produces scar tissue so a new user could get
quickly if the insertions were done right over the recent scar tissue.
the potential is there for everyone but the odds of having a problem
increase with time.
    This seems like a dark corner in the pumping world.          Peter

> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:58:54 -0500
> From: "Elizabeth Hanawalt" <email @ redacted>
> The only other thing I would add to this list is that I've been
pumping for
> 13 years and the site availability is dwindling.  I know that there
> parts of my body that I can't use anymore and that's affecting my A1C
> that's really getting my frustrated.
> Elizabeth

Kathy Fagan
Dx 10/68, Pumping 12/17/82