[IP] Freestyle battery question

I have a quick question.  I was a camp counselor and since I was one of the
diabetic counselors I was give a free Freestyle meter.  When I got home from
 camp and went to use it nothing would work; I couldn't turn it on and when I
a strip in the meter nothing happened.  There was a symbol on the screen of a
little blood drop and either the meter or strip (I can't remember and now
that symbol is gone).  I am thinking that the batteries are dead, but since I
don't have the manual, I have no idea.  Also, if the batteries are dead, where
would I find AAAA batteries, I have looked at the grocery store and Wal-Mart,
Target, Circuit City... with no luck.  Thank you for any answers.
      Diagnosed 8-13-93 (age 11); pumping since 7-18-02 w/ my blue Paradigm