-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Artorius Rex
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 10:36 AM
To: email @ redacted

Here are a few that I've run into:

1. Good infusion site selection can be picky and unless you are using metal
needle infusion sites, the cannulas can easily kink.  Kinked sets aren't
 obvious  until you've had unexplained highs for a bit.

2. Short acting insulins used in the pumps aren't 100% up to the task yet.
Humalog (for me) has site stability issues, they don't last long and can
get irritated quickly.  Novalog (for me) was a complete bust.  It didn't
 quick enough in my system, so I ended up either high
or bouncing from high to low all the time.

3. Expense.  Even with decent insurance, it's still more expensive to pump
than it is to inject for me.  Supplies can eaily be reused multiple times
MDI (syringes mainly), but the same can't be said for pumps.  2-4 days and
you have to toss the site and start again, at about $10 a pop (if you pay
cash for supplies).  With my insurance this is about $1.50 a site change.
Glucose testing also needs to be done more frequently too, which adds more

These are my big issues.  They aren't big enough to make me want to stop
pumping.  My control has completely turned around since starting to pump,
even if it isn't reflected in my A1C's (which were in the 5's on MDI). I
don't get disastrous lows any more, which is wonderful.

Of course this issues are going to change from person to person, so don't
on me and say that they aren't true (you know who you are).
They're true for me.