Re: [IP] Diabetes Interview Letter

In a message dated 08/17/2003 10:19:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Without the new technology, there will never be a cure(.)
> I'm very happy to be able to buy insulin from Lilly and others.  Been
> doing it for the past 64 years and never regreted it.  Damn thankful it
> was there to buy.
> don
> Terese Berryman wrote:
> >

> >Quoting from a letter printed in the August 2003 issue of Diabetes
> Interview:
> >"I have had type 1 diabetes for 32 years now, and I am doing great....  I
> know
> >how much money there is to be made in the diabetes industry, and it just
> keeps
> >growing.  I truly believe this is why they haven't found a cure! ... your
> >magazine is informative and doesn't interfere with a cure; I don't believe
> >that this is true for pumps, machines, glucose watches, and so on.  I think
> >someone needs to step in and oversee things to be sure the cure is not
> being
> >withheld so that these companies can continue to make the big bucks!"
> >Do you really think there is a (significant?  more than one?) number of
> >diabetics who think pumpers are holding up a cure by purchasing pumps?  Is
> >this a bizarre idea or what?  So pumpers are co-conspirators?
> >The letter writer further states that "The pharmaceutical companies are
> very
> >powerful and control many things, and I think they know how much money they
> >would lose if there were a cure for diabetes....  The more influential
> people
> >who invest money in the diabetes industry and see how much money can be
> made,
> >the less of a chance we will ever see a cure."  She appears to be asking
> >(expecting) us to boycot new technology in order to force the industry to
> come
> >up with a cure.  Again, bizarre.

I am like Don 55 years on Lilly insulin, and counting. I think the large
 investors couldn't care less about finding a cure. I also feel there are people
like Jonas Salk who's name anybody who was in school in the early 50's can
 remember. We have seen this thread about once a year. It is known as the 5 year
 cure. I have no trouble giving Lilly or another large company there payment for
the 55 years I would have lost without them I guess I am a (The glass is half
full) type of a guy. Roger C