[IP] Diabetes Interview Letter

Quoting from a letter printed in the August 2003 issue of Diabetes Interview:
"I have had type 1 diabetes for 32 years now, and I am doing great....  I know
how much money there is to be made in the diabetes industry, and it just keeps
growing.  I truly believe this is why they haven't found a cure! ... your
magazine is informative and doesn't interfere with a cure; I don't believe
that this is true for pumps, machines, glucose watches, and so on.  I think
someone needs to step in and oversee things to be sure the cure is not being
withheld so that these companies can continue to make the big bucks!"
Do you really think there is a (significant?  more than one?) number of
diabetics who think pumpers are holding up a cure by purchasing pumps?  Is
this a bizarre idea or what?  So pumpers are co-conspirators?
The letter writer further states that "The pharmaceutical companies are very
powerful and control many things, and I think they know how much money they
would lose if there were a cure for diabetes....  The more influential people
who invest money in the diabetes industry and see how much money can be made,
the less of a chance we will ever see a cure."  She appears to be asking
(expecting) us to boycot new technology in order to force the industry to come
up with a cure.  Again, bizarre.