[IP] feet

Ok, I just posted about weight and my issue with doctors, and I have a
 question that I'm afraid to bring up to my doc. Just seems like if a doctor
out about something, then it becomes very real and very serious.  Anyway, I've
noticed a little bit of numbness in my big toe.  I know I need to be
 concerned, but can someone tell me that it's not the end of the world for me
before I
bring it up to my doctor.  My brain is jumping to amputation and that scares
the cra* out of me.  Anything I can just do on my own to help it out?  I'm
 thinking an appointment with a podiatrist is probably in order, I've never been
one.  What do they do?  and does it hurt?