Re: [IP] Metal-eating perspiration?

At 11:19 PM 8/16/2003 -0700, you wrote:

I just want to send a warning.  Recently two people i know have reacted
STRONGLY to something in cheap dime store costume rings.  One had to have
the ring cut off her hand, the other just swelled up but caught it earlier.

I can't say it's related at all, but it is a recent phenomena in my
experience and one of them does have to coat her own jewelry although i
don't know why exactly she does it...  She uses clear nailpolish...i think
platinum is out of her price range :)

>I have a ring that I love that is 14k gold that turned my finger dark (and
>I don't have D). My jeweler coated the inside with platinum and it solved
>the problem. I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't too bad.
>Other people have told me that they have used clear finger polish does the
>Kathy Trondsen wrote:
>>This is slightly off-topic, but I've been told over the years that the
>>reason that any metal except for 24k gold or stainless steel corrodes
>>when I wear it for any length of time is that some diabetics have skin
>>or sweat that is more acidic than other people's.  My question to the
>>list is, if anyone so afflicted has found anything that works to protect
>>the metal from the bad effect of prolonged contact with 'acid skin'?
>>Seriously, I end up with black marks wherever costume jewelry has been
>>worn for any length of time, and silver, of course, tarnishes extremely
>>quickly and I have tarnish marks on my skin.  Is there anything like a
>>coating for either my skin or the jewelry that would help alleviate
>>this?  I can't afford 24k gold for everything, but I've considered
>>varnishing my chest and neck . :-)
>>Thanks for any advice regarding strategies for coping fashionably with
>>the 'skin of death'.
>>Kathy Trondsen (who knows this isn't the world's greatest problem, does
>>not feel victimized, but just asking for advice).
>>for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact:

Miki Tracey
email @ redacted
"I think about Adam and Eve and I still believe she didn't get a fair trial"
McKenna/Gotta Thank You