From: Judith Renwick <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:51:57 -0400
Subject: [IP] Blood borne pathogens.

The major "blood borne pathogens" of concern are HIV (the AIDS virus)
and the various strains of hepatitis. TB (tuberculosis) is NOT spread
via blood, but by inhaling the bacteria, which may survive for years in
dirt. (That's an excellent reason to discourage the habit of spitting!)
There are some varieties of TB which are very resistant to treatment,
but it's not considered an incurable disease in most cases.
BTW the CDC (US Center for Disease Control) does not consider blood
glucose test strips hazardous material, since the amount of blood
involved is very small, and the drop dries quickly on the strip. Strips
may safely be thrown in regular trash. (Per personal communication with
CDC staff, May 2000) Lancets, needles and other sharps should be
disposed of in approved containers.