RE: [IP] I was denied :-( and school nurses

OSHA requires that most workplaces offer 'blood-bourne pathogen
training'.  I'm the designated get-trained-and-train-others for my

Basically, it is training intended to get people to think about the
dangers of Hepatitis, HIV, and other illnesses that are spread primarily
by exposure to infected people's bodily fluids (including amniotic
fluid, bodily wastes, blood, etc.).  The intention is to impress upon
people the necessity of wearing gloves when offering first aid
(especially when there is blood involved) and to use proper procedures
for cleaning up spills of suspect fluids.  My trainer said 'if it's wet
and it's not yours, don't touch it!'
Which pretty much sums it up.

That being said, OSHA has also ruled that diabetics testing blood are
NOT a BBP hazard, so the nurse is mistaken about where you have to test
and what the danger is.  (This is, by the way, a common misconception
that has caused untold numbers of diabetic children hassles.)

She also has probably been trained that you (with the blood on your
dress) are a hazard to civilization, since BBP training involves a lot
of stuff about how to deal with 'contaminated' clothing, etc.

Personally, I would take proper precautions to keep from contact with
bodily fluids, but I would not stand there and watch someone bleed to
death because I didn't have ready access to the proper barriers (gloves,
goggles, etc.), but this is an individual thing.  There is a danger, and
a way to do things more safely -- I just think some people get way too
carried away worrying about it.

Just my opinion.  Your (or your nurse's) Mileage May Vary.