Re: [IP] The Elite Meter

On 16 Aug 2003 at 10:24, email @ redacted wrote:

> How many of you have The Ascensia Elite Meter? Do you like it? I'm asking
 > because I have The One Touch Basic now. And I would like to know if The Elite
> is
> a better meter. Does The Elite measure whole blood, like The One Touch or
> plasma like is done in a doctor's office?

I have an Ascensia Elite.  I switched to it from my One Touch Ultra
because my insurance gives me a much better co-pay on the Ascensia

The major differences that I've found are:

1) Ascensia takes 30 seconds vs. 5 seconds for the One Touch
2) Ascensia takes a slightly larger drop of blood
3) Ascensia strips come individually packaged in foil, which creates
a lot more trash, as opposed to the One Touch strips that come
packaged 25 to a canister.

That having been said, I've found that when I do repeat tests with
the Ascensia, the values are a lot closer together than when I'd do
repeat tests with the One Touch.  In other words, if I test, then
test again immediately, the One Touch would sometimes have me
swinging 20-30 points wide (within the percentage error range
specified in the manual, but still, kind of disconcerting).  The
Ascensia has never varied more than about 10-15 points for me, which
makes me feel a little more secure.