Re: [IP] Re Review of Discovery Health Show

In a message dated 8/16/03 8:40:58 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> They said there is a Doctor somewhere in Mexico who is
> harvesting beta cells from pig pancreases, encapsulating them in an envelope
> made of seaweed, and injecting them into humans.  The seaweed envelope is
> not
> rejected by the human body, and therefore the injectees did not require
> immune
> suppressant  drugs.  Does anyone know the name of this Doctor and where in
> Mexico these trials are taking place?

Do a google search on xenotransplantation. The doc is in New Zealand (as I
 recall). The trials were in Mexico. New Zealand has a ban on
(for islet cells, at any rate), but Mexico does not. As far as I know, the
 trials in Mexico have not been published in any peer-reviewed journals and
is much speculation on whether proper protocols were followed.

BTW, all of the stuff that was on the Discovery Channel show have been in
Diabetes Interview. It even had the woman from the Edmonton Protocol on the

Jan and ElvisToo