[IP] 3 minutes to give life saving shot?

My life with diabetes has been since the late 1940's.  I was told that a
 diabetic coma referred only to diabetes that was out of control with consistent
high blood sugars, and it did not come on over night like a low (insulin
 reaction) can. A diabetic coma came on after showing highs for many days or

I have never heard of a life saving shot for hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia.

I feel it is a great miss service of the medical field to combine the two
into one term.

Mary in MN

My experience goes back 60 years. At that time I learned that "diabetic
coma" was strictly a high blood sugar (and DKA) thing. In more recent
years the medical community seems to have modified their definition to
include unconsciousness due to low blood sugar insulin reaction. This
is a very unfortunate change, and I refuse to go along with it, because
it only serves to confuse. If I am confronted with the term "diabetic
coma", I try to educate the person about the great differences between
the two conditions.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000
I was
assumining they were talking about glucagon).  I didn't know if they
talking about a high blood sugar coma or a low blood sugar insulin
This 3 minute rule was news to me.  Has anyone heard of this before?  I
wish I could have joined in on the conversation but I was eavesdropping!

Generally speaking when people talk about "diabetic comas" are they
to low blood sugars?  I'm always confused by that term.  Hopefully
someone can
set the record straight for me!<<<