Re:[IP] 3 minutes to give life saving shot?

OnFri, 15 Aug 2003 07:25:26 -0700, Shannon James wrote:
 >>>I overheard someone last night talking about how a friends daughter
went into
a diabetic coma and they only had 3 minutes to give a life-saving shot
(I was
assumining they were talking about glucagon).  I didn't know if they
talking about a high blood sugar coma or a low blood sugar insulin
This 3 minute rule was news to me.  Has anyone heard of this before?  I
wish I could have joined in on the conversation but I was eavesdropping!

Generally speaking when people talk about "diabetic comas" are they
to low blood sugars?  I'm always confused by that term.  Hopefully
someone can
set the record straight for me!<<<

My experience goes back 60 years. At that time I learned that "diabetic
coma" was strictly a high blood sugar (and DKA) thing. In more recent
years the medical community seems to have modified their definition to
include unconsciousness due to low blood sugar insulin reaction. This
is a very unfortunate change, and I refuse to go along with it, because
it only serves to confuse. If I am confronted with the term "diabetic
coma", I try to educate the person about the great differences between
the two conditions.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000