Re: [IP] High blood sugars and coffee

At 11:41 PM 8/13/03 -0400, you wrote:
 >I have been wondering if anyone else has had the same experience I have been
 >having with my morning coffee (with creamer).  1 cup of my coffee has 5
 >of carbs.  I always test before my coffee, take some insulin to correct, if
 > necessary, and bolus according to my 1/23 insulin/carb. ratio. It usually
 >me from 20 minutes to 1/2 hour to finish my cup.  I usually bolus for the
 > coffee as soon as I pour it. After about 1 hour my blood sugar is sky
 >rocketing, sometimes up 200 more than I started.

What is in your coffe that gives it 5 grams of carbs?  Mine has nothing but
water and coffee bean oil. No carbs at all, and, boy, does it taste
good!  (Thanks, Tom!)

Do you experience this spike only when you drink coffee, or does it happen
also when you get up early and don't indulge in the java?  You have tried
that, right?  Or is that too much to ask? <vbg>

I ask because I experience what I call the "haul your lazy butt out of bed
and get moving"  blood sugar spike.  Regardless of what I eat or drink in
the morning--and even if I eat or drink nothing--I experience a dramatic
spike in blood sugar about 1-1/2 hours after rising.

I have compensated tor this by raising my early morning basals to
accommodate the spike on the days I get up early (before 6:00 or so).  I
also have to be careful to re-set them for those days I sleep in late, or I
will go low.   Others I know take an early morning "getting out of bed"
bolus to accommodate the same rise.

Waiter! Waiter! Percolater!
I like coffee, I like tea...