Re: [IP] calculating grams of CHO in IV solution

I believe hospitals etc use 5% dextrose in water.  I'm sure there is a
way to calculate the gramsm BUT!!!! I can't remember.
I'd talk to my surgon about the dextrose.  The usual procedure  in
pre-op is to start a IV of 5% dextrose, mainly to keep a vain open in
case something should happen that they need a vain to inject in.   Most
doctors have a standard pre-op orders that tell the nurses what to do.
Unless he changes the orders they will start the dextrose!!!   Before my
bypass surgery, if my glucose went over 400 I had sever angina.    I
went in for the Dr to clean out my caroid(?) and sure enought they
started the IV and gave me a 'happy pill'  the angina hit about 45 mins
later  as they wheeled me to the OR,  ( my fasting glucose that morning
was 122)   Dr did admit later that he 'forgot' to change the pre-op
orders.  They delayed the surgery  untill they could get my glucose down
and check the heart etc.  A lot of red faces, But I survived :)