[IP] Re: Tips for those who run from bears

In reference to Tina's comment about running only when there is a bear
 chasing her, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to relate a story of my husband
I in Glacier National Park a couple years ago. It's not about diabetes per say
but there is a connection!

We were sitting near a creek at sunset not too far from our lodge enjoying
the view when a 400 pound cinnamon brown bear approached from behind looking
 very interested in our day-pack. My heart was pounding so loudly I could hardly
move but we eventually stood up and began to back up slowly over a wooden
 bridge naively thinking bears don't cross bridges. The bear viewed us
 then seemed to lose interest. We continued moving quietly across the bridge and
were nearly at the end. We felt we were safe until we heard other park
 visitors coming down the path, effectively trapping the bear between us and
them. The
bear turned and looked at both parties pondering his choices and decided to
bolt towards us. I'll never forget the sound of its paws hammering that bridge
at 40mph coming straight towards us. I jumped over the bridge and hid beneath
it while my husband barely had time to step off to the side. Lucky for us, it
didn't stop and make us his dinner, but instead passed by and continued
running into the brush. The other party caught up with us and we all watched
 breathlessly as the bear foraged for a while then disappeared into the woods.
It may
be the only time in my history as a Type 1 diabetic that I totally, completely
forgot about my diabetes! That was the real thrill: being released from all
 the anxiety and constant vigilance that this chronic condition demands, even if
only for a few minutes.

Bay Area
IDDM 31 years, MM 508 3 years