[IP] Insulin, X-Rays, and heat

> Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 19:26:13 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Re: insulin and airport x-ray scans

> Yes, the insulin is damaged by heat and the x-rays generate heat.
> If it is not packed with a cold pack, and if it passes through the x-ray, it
> may be damaged.
> Susan

Hi Susan,

Yes, insulin can be damaged by heat; but, in my opinion the X-rays used in
airports for screening do not cause an appreciable heat buildup.

It would be helpful if someone could provide us with a reputable source of
scientific information confirming the quantity of heat increase in a 10 cc
vial of insulin carried within luggage that is going through one, or more,
airport X-ray security checks?