Re: [IP] Support for Football Player

First, I wish your boy was going to the school I teach, because not
only do I fight for myself, I fight for the kids.  (See my earlier

Let me relate to you, your son and other high school kiddos out there
about what happened when I as a teacher was diagnosed last year.  Maybe
it will help.

First, my blood sugar shot up over 450 for several weeks after a
glucose tolerance test, so my being diabetic REALLY affected my class

I shared (and will share with this group of kids) every bit of
information I knew would affect my  students.  I told them what was
going on, about the blood sugar monitor and even the injections, when I
was put on insulin.  I also taught them how to help me if I had a low,
or if my sugar was REAL high.  Mainly if I was off on a weird rant, to
calmly ask me to check my blood sugar.  AND they did.  And once or
twice I really was messed up.

The interesting thing -- and I'll admit we are a different group of
people than those in suburban schools, we're urban which makes a huge
difference on accepting "differences" -- is that they felt free to ask
me questions at that point.  Many of them had diabetic relatives and
just didn't know what was going on until I talked about it.  Even
better yet, is that about a month after I was diagnosed Channel One did
a week long series on diabetes, covering even gestational diabetes
(yes, that happens to our teenagers these days), and insulin resistant
diabetes.  They showed students giving themselves tests, injections,
and even pumping.  And I bet that material is archived.

I had several students who insisted on knowing every bit about the
testing process and would remind me to test.  I even had one who wanted
to see everything about the injections except the actual injection.
And let's face it, insulin pens are more than slightly cool.

The other neat thing, is that now all the diabetic students get
"assisgned" to me.  We have a terrific special ed. teacher who likes
what I do with that population and is really glad to have an expert.
Last year I had one that spent a lot of time with me and I hope
encouraged to start taking better care of himself.  He at least claimed

I believe in sharing and being open about the differences, because
sometimes we really aren't.