Re: [IP] Support for Football Player

Jenny is in 10th grade at at large high school (2,000 kids). Last year
she played field hockey, soccer, and track. During the school day, Jenny
kept her glucometer with her - although the nurse had all the back up
supplies in her office. i think the only time Jenny went to see her was
to change batteries.

Things may be different for boys, but Jenny did ok with sports and the
pump. She always checked glucose before she started and midway through
practice / games. She disconnected from her pump most days, giving
herself about half the missed basal before she disconnected, depending
on the level of activity she anticipated (track practice days were
usually more strenuous than track meet days).

I think the biggest hurdle was for Jenny to decide she would check
glucose in front of her new high school friends. The middle school kids
had been very cool with it. She tried it and found out it wasn't a
problem in  hs either.

Good luck. It is so important for our kids to feel as normal as they can.
Also, make sure the school has several adults trained to give glucagon.
That was our big battle at the beginning of high school'