[IP] Minimed Paradigm Pump

I have recently received the latest Minimed Paradign 512 pump and what a huge
disappointment on numerous levels.  I can't help but wonder, what idiot
 designed the new 512 pump to be completely intuitively opposite of the existing
pump designs, i.e. it's literally upside down when programming a bolus or just
 general use when you're wearing it. This might be fine for a new user, but for
someone who has been using a pump long term, it's extremely annoying.  But
that's minor compared to all of the other flaws in this pump.

The priming function is ridiculously complicated between having to rewind,
remove portions of the syringe, even inserting the syringe into the insulin
vial, is way too complicated!!  Nothing intuitive about this lousy design!
Plus none of the supplies are interchangeable from previous pumps showing
further wasteful mentality from Minimed.

Minimed has further demonstrated complete ineptness in their return
 procedures. A few weeks ago, I returned several boxes of defective syringes
(from my
old pump) and they sent back a huge box filled with large envelopes containing
two new reservoirs in each envelope.   Rather than simply replace the full
boxes I sent them, someone in their organization spent time individually
packaging these things, wasting time, postage, and large envelopes.

Now that I had the new pump I asked if I could exchange these individually
packaged reservoirs for the kind that go with the new pump, and they told me I
would have to return them to the return department, who would then send me
properly boxed reservoirs (for the old pump) which I would then have to return
again, so they could exchange the full boxes for the kind that go with the new
 pump. I asked them why couldn't I just return the individally packaged products
to them and they walk it over to the proper department (in the very same
 building) and simply have them send out the right product. The utter stupidity
of this process is unspeakable.  I can't believe these people are actually
 manufacturing life saving medical devices, but can't figure out how to exchange
product without adding numerous extra steps and expenses to the process.  To
me, this is utter incompetence!!!

Back to the pump review...
The time and date now longer display routinely which is a huge
inconvenience when a user gets used to relying on that information.  Now to
display it you have go through numerous screens and buttons before it will
even display!  More foolishness!!

And the battery life is outrageously LOW.  The previous batteries (which
are readily available in the hearing aid section from any drug store for
someone buying them in a store if they don't get them from MiniMed) lasted
so much longer??  Why would a designer move away from something that worked
to complete inefficiency??!!  In my first week with the Paradigm, the AAA
 battery lasted only FOUR DAYS!!!! They suggest that AAA batteries are cheaper;
what kind of cost savings is that if they battery has to be changed almost
twice a week????!!!  (In addition to the inconvenience.)  It is this reason
specially that I am going back to my old pump.

Additionally to claim that it's 33% smaller than prior pumps is a blatant
lie.  Maybe it's 5% smaller due to the rounded edges, but even with the belt
clip, it seems actually larger!!

And with the belt clip in place you can't read any of the information (e.g.
phone numbers) on the back of the pump.  Granted this is only an
occassional need, but given how extremely difficult it is to apply and
remove this just another example of really bad design.

This pump should have had more user feedback prior to release to the
public.  It seems they skipped this step or perhaps only focused on
the perspective of the new user without any pump experience which was huge

The key features copied from the Cozmo insulin pump are the rare beneficial
elements for the user.  It provides automatic readings from one type of meter
although not one covered by my insurance but it does allow for manual entry.
For example, blood glucose tracking and suggested corrections are nice even
though this still has numerous errors which can actually be dangerous to the
user. But these features are of minimal benefit to an experienced diabetic who
can figure out how much insulin to take based on how many carbs they're eating!

Finally, they still offer NO means of connecting the data to a computer for
tracking and trending.  If the idea of tracking the info was to save the
time in having to write everything down, they've leaft the user hanging.
Minimed says it will be ready eventually,  sometime in the next several

I had considered the Cozmo.  I'm not sure if it's any better.  If anyone has
any feedback in comparison with the issues noted above, please let me know.

Nancy  :)