[IP] Re: C-Peptide test

>>Another question if I may,   What does a 'C-Peptide' test test for??
Insulin??? I know they use it to determine the type of diabetes, ( <
than the detection limit = type 1, no insulin produced,) If so then
won't  it report my Lantus and Novolog???<<

Actually, the C-peptide test isn't used to determine what type of
diabetes one has.  Many Type 2's produce little to no insulin.
Here's a definition from Medline Plus on C-peptide tests and why they
are performed:

Why the test is performed

C-peptide is measured to differentiate endogenous (produced by the
body) from exogenous (injected into the body) insulin production.
When insulin is initially synthesized by the beta cells of the
pancreas, it is produced as a large molecule (propeptide). This
molecule is then cleaved at 2. The intermediate segment (C-peptide)
is released at the same time insulin is released but has no known

The C-peptide level may be measured in a patient with type II
diabetes mellitus to see if any insulin is still being produced
endogenously. It may also be measured in the evaluation of
hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to see if too much insulin is being
produced by the patient.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99