[IP] keep it cold?

I have a slightly different concern with humalog.  I used Disetronic's
cartridge filling service for the pump.  But I always feel safer carrying
around a vial of insulin in case I need to inject.  I tend to carry around the
same one for months (rarely used), and I don't know if it's any good (although
I have certainly used it well beyond the 28 days).  I hate to just keep
throwing out a nearly full one each month and replacing it with a new one in
my kit, just to carry it with me and hardly use it (if at all).