RE: [IP] Insulin reaction to plastic

Regarding the insulin and plastic issue, I read something on-line that said
that the insulin molecules attach themselves to PVC plastic.  Minimed, several
years ago, addressed this issue by creating tubing that uses PVC as the outer
layer and polyfin as the inner layer.  Polyfin is too brittle to serve as the
tubing itself.

Anyhow, insulin doesn't attach itself to Polyfin like PVC.  Apparently, within
the first few hours of changing an infusion set, as much of 70% of the insulin
molecules attach themselves to the PVC plastic, which resulted in highs
immediately following a new set change.  Once all of the "holes" were filled
 with insulin, however, everything worked fine. This is why many people used to
experience highs immediately after a site change.

 But, leaving insulin in the PVC for LONGER periods shouldn't matter since it is
within the first few hours that the insulin molecues would react to the
plastic.  After that, there is nothing left to react to.

So, at least the MM infusion sets do not have this problem.  I would imagine
that other companies' infusions sets have followed suit.  I have seen nothing
about leaving the insulin in the tubing for PROLONGED periods, though, except
for the general advice that you should change your sets every 2 1/2 to 3 days.