[IP] re: basal and skipping meals

<<<<<<<<Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:52:57 -0400
From: "Justin Daubenmire" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] re: basal and skipping meals
Hi Faith
what made you decide to go to the pump over the insulin shot method? Any
key benefits to sugar control in your a1c averages? I have no problem
with insulin shots or needles and am wondering, hey, if I can get my a1c
5.0 to 5.4 with shots, why use a pump? So, please explain why you opted
to go on a pump. thanks.

That is a big question Justin.
I'd have to say that although my A1c's are better now, for me since
being on the pump, the big advantage for me was not having to take 7-8
or more shots a day because I was giving myself a shot with humalog
every time that I ate any kind of snack, even just a bite to taste
something.  I am really glad not to have to do that anymore.  If I can
have a better A1c or at least the same one and can do it in a way that
is much easier for me than I see that as an advantage.
There is also the multiple basal rates that I can have now.  Instead of
a fairly steady amount all of the time I can now give myself more
accurately what I need from hour to hour.  I think this makes a big
difference in how my blood sugars stabilize hour by hour.  There is
also, and this is a big one for me, the ability to lessen how much
insulin I am getting.  On days that I am more active I put my basal
down to 60% to keep from being low.  That makes a huge difference for
me, I am often 60 - 100 when I check my bs's while running 60%.  If I
hadn't been able to change the amount I was getting I would have been
passed out somewhere.  Now if I was on shots, I'd be stuck with what I
had taken for the basal rate and eating constantly to compensate.  If I
knew ahead of time I could take less in the shot of Ultra lente but I
don't often know my days are going to turn so busy at the beginning of
the day or the night before (I used to take my ultralente shot in the
evening).  Now, when something comes up in the afternoon, I just check
my bs, turn my basal down and get going!  It makes a huge difference for
me.  Now I could just figure out an alternate profile for being more
busy and have the basals all set for it and change to the other profile,
I haven't taken the time to do this.
There are probably many more advantages that are more day to day things.

These are the first that came to mind.
Thanks for asking, it is good to remind myself of the blessing that this
pump really is
to me!

pumping since 08-00