Re: [IP] Glycemic Index

I think you'll find that if you subtract out the fiber from those foods, that
you will find the carbs affect the BGL the same.  Remember that fiber doesn't
 affect BGLs. Glycemic index doesn't just refer to the carbs, but the food as a
 whole. So, of course, eating high-fiber foods will not affect BGLs the same as
low-fiber foods.  Lentils, etc., are high-fiber foods. In some cases, how food
is prepared can affect how quicly it enters.  For example, it is known that a
candy bar will enter the blood stream slower than straight glucose...but that
is because the sugar gets "cooked" into the fat molecules, and so must be
 digested a bit longer. But, the affect only DELAYS the sugar from entering the
bloodstream by a matter of minutes, it doesn't actually PREVENT it from
entering the bloodstream.

Glycemic index isn't really useful for Type 1 diabetics if you are paying
attention to fiber content in foods...although, it might help determine if you
should use an extended bolus for some foods, etc.